Saturday, August 13, 2016

3 more rods, 3 more reels, 1 fish closer


I've been sticking to the plan. 

I was told to put a 2 oz pyramid weight on a snap swivel at the end of my main line. Above that a float above that a barrel swivel slip style with a 4' leader split shot, 2/0 octopus hook and cooked shrimp as bait. Above all of that a bead and a bobber stop adjusted to water depth. I did all of it. 
I have checked water temp everyday for weeks hoping for magical currents and storm winds to "flip" the lake but it's hasn't happened, and still I have fished 30 hours from the Holland harbor pier in those same few weeks. 

I have back doored and bartered 3 new reels, and 3 new rods, all vintage, all fiberglass because that's my style. 

#glassisnotdead Instagram: @innate_boats ; angling iq: @fiberglassnate 

I have battled high waves, high winds, heavy rain, lightning, tourists, and darkness. 
I have gathered intelligence from Internet sorces, hole in the wall shops and sketchy skateboard kids about when they saw fish taken and what kind. 


I met people, with names I don't remember, in the darkness and traded information carefully always holding a little back. 
I started a club, Great Lakes Surf Casters, 23 members now, although I don't think some are aware of their membership. 

I am learning, bobber stops don't stay where you put them and floats can't be seen in the dark or when you cast too far.  I've learned that shrimp spin and twist leaders regardless of the barrel swivel. Even with 2 1/2 oz weight on the bottom the line will not stay tight in heavy wind. I've learned how to use my old wheeled hockey bag as a pier cart for the mile walk when the park gates are closed. 

All of this and one cat fish are enough to keep going. To keep searching for chrome, for lakers or Browns. 

No comments:

Post a Comment