Saturday, August 20, 2016

Mid August

Well the water temps on the big lake(Michigan) are still in the mid 70s and the only thing biting off the pier seems to be white drum and catfish.
I talked with an old timer that said he had taken a handful of perch but those are few and far between. Everyone in a boat says the salmon are big this year. So it should be a blast when they come in. 

A week ago I fished in the heaviest rain of my life. For about three hours it came down in buckets very intense. I was wearing a new rain jacket by a major player in the water repellent industry. Shoulders were dry head was dry but everything in my pockets was soaked, wallet, fishing license, phone, gum, etc. I have been withholding my scathing review with thoughts of revisiting this jacket in a less intense down poor to gauge its performance. Another part of me  feels like it had the most trying test and failed. I was and am still unhappy. I know that most will say that I should have spent the $500 bucks on a Simms and been dry. I'm not sure. http://www.fishusa.com/product/-Simms-ProDry-Gore-Tex-Jackets

I have been trying to weasel my way into a Spey rig. Actually I don't think it's weaseling just trying to sell some gear to fund the new rig or trade into it. Seems as if no one wants what I have which leads me into dropping the prices below what the products are worth and still not selling. So I still don't have a Spey rig. http://m.orvis.com/p/clearwater-spey-8-weight-13-6-fly-rod/8p5l

Orvis had a nice package deal on Clearwater and battenkill package. Even though I am a fiberglass guy I was considering it. Pros and cons glass in a Spey?  I don't know. I have very limited experience. I have a 12' Milwards bamboo rod that is a two handed rod but I doubt that casting glass or graphite at that length will be comparable?

Lastly on an angry note, I was fishing Wednesday night off the holland harbor pier channel side, right before dark a boat came weaving through the channel with one guy aboard adjusting his trolling gear and being unable to steer and adjust gear he snagged all three of my lines as I yelled and cursed at him he was oblivious. With the help of a bystander I kept my rods out of the water loosing only terminal rigs.  If I had 2 oz of lead in my hand i would have put it through his boat. No other boats in sight so he had the rest of the chennel to avoid my tackle. He did not!


No comments:

Post a Comment